First off – Many thanks to Tess Bartlett at Whisperings of Life for nominating me!
This Liebster Award thingy is given from blogger to blogger to send us to lesser-known blog places we may not otherwise see, and I think it’s great! Even though I haven’t done this random things about me stuff in years…
1) Nominate 11 bloggers with less than 200 followers.
2) Acknowledge and link back to the person who nominated me.
3) Answer 11 questions the person who nominated me has asked me.
4) Tell you 11 random facts about myself
5) Give my nominees 11 questions to answer on their blog when they post about the Liebster Award.
Amber: Project Keepsake
Terri : Transcending
Joy: Never Turn Off the Lights
Rushati: C’est la vie.
Suzanne: Living at the Center
Elizabeth Rose: Green-Fingered Writer
Aimee: Pass the Gin
Wendy: A Thoughtful Reader
Lauren: The right side of 30
Tracey: Boxofficegirl: A day in the life of…
My 11 questions for nominees:
- Why did you start blogging?
- Tell us about the last dream you remember.
- What can’t/won’t you quit even though you think maybe you should?
- You just won a trip to Mars! Do you go?
- If you could live in any decade, which would you choose?
- What’s your five-year plan?
- Pick your super power and explain.
- Come on, which one item would you really take with you to that deserted island?
- What is it you want most from life?
- Where will I find you at the party?
- Tell us about your favorite happy song – link it up!
Here are the 11 questions Tess posed, answered:
1) What did you want to be when you were a child?
I wanted to be a writer or an English teacher, or both. I also wanted to be a GI Joe/Wonder Woman hybrid – saving the world really appealed to me back then!
2) What makes your heart and soul sing?
Gorgeous words, stories, music, my husband and dogs, and the laughter of friends, did I mention music?.
3) What is your favourite topic to write/blog about?
I like writing uplifting stories about depression. I know that sounds a bit off the mark, but as an often-depressed optimist, it feels pretty natural to me. I try to show my weak sides so that others can see the truth – that we all have weak sides, soft underbellies, sore spots. I also write about my dogs, my rambling thoughts, and the gifts that leading a simple life might bring. If I led a simple life!
4) If you could do one thing every day until the day you died what would it be?
Sing in the shower. No, seriously, I sound so good in there! Also, it’s about keeping a song in your heart, and also letting it out and owning it!
5) What is your biggest fear?
Well, anything bad happening to my kids. And then this:
As a stroke survivor, I realized this all too well. As much as I don’t want to drown, ugh, my greatest fear is being locked in my brain and unable to communicate. I wrote a flash fiction piece about this, maybe I should shake that one off and try to publish it again. Shudder.
6) How do you overcome fear?
I don’t know that I overcome the fear, I just try to do it anyway. Scared of reading poetry out loud? Find a friendly crowd, and get up there and do it! I also talk about it, tell people I’m terrified. Everyone understands fear, and when they see you being brave, they’re nicer, and even sometimes inspired and stuff. At least that’s what they tell me…
7) What does creativity mean to you?
Creativity is the act of living! Not just breathing in and out, but the things you bring to the world. I know some incredibly creative engineers, so it’s not just about a canvas or a typewriter. It’s expressing yourself in a way only you can do, and making something that wasn’t there a minute ago.
8) What does home mean to you?
Home is a place I’m trying to make. I’m almost there. I’m late. I never felt at home anywhere to be honest. But in my new(er) life with my second husband, three dogs, and mostly-grown kids, I’m finally starting to get it. It’s safe, kind, free, inspiring, and most of all accepting.
9) If you had to pick one word to describe how you intend to be in 2015 what would it be?
10) If you could travel somewhere tomorrow where would it be, and why?
Hawaii, because I’ve always wanted to go. I want to see volcanoes, and the beaches, and just breathe in the air. The ocean is my spirit animal I think. I was supposed to go to Hawaii for a bunch of anniversaries, but the money was never there. Now, I play the lottery!
11) What is your secret talent?
I can make a bed with wicked nurses’ corners. But this never comes up, because nobody actually cares, or makes beds around here…
And now, 11 random facts.
- I have a motorcycle endorsement, but haven’t ridden since the day I got it.
- I used to look out the window on long drives and pretend I was riding a horse alongside the car. A very very fast horse.
- I’m scared of heights but I love roller-coasters.
- Charles Schultz’s Snoopy is my favorite dog ever – and my husband had a dog named Snoopy when I met him. He’s a great dog, even though he’s not a beagle.
- My eyes change color from blue to green when I’m angry or feeling extreme. Or when I wear a green shirt.
- I talk to birds, worms, basically anything alive.
- I also talk to inanimate objects. And myself.
- My blog was just blocked at work under the category “adult” and it made me laugh. Then panic.
- My dream is to own my own island, write all day, and run a dog sanctuary and pub. I think it could work.
- I wrote 3/4 of a novel that I’ll never finish, and I think it was really pretty good.
- I’d rather be at the beach.